Wednesday, June 10, 2009

one extraordinaire experience...

"Hello", I said to them, and I introducing myself. It's still 7.30 in the morning. They were late. It supposed to be begin at 7.15. But I've been there, attending class at 7.15 is no good. Attending class in the morning is not going to work for me, maybe for them too. I understand, and I know some of them even don't know why should they take this class, but I know too some of them really want to know what is International Private Law, the course that I will teach in the next two months, then I started the conversation with.. "What do you know about International Private Law?"

and there goes the long silent....

a girl answered me.. "I don't know yet, Miss, but International Private Law supposed to be related to HATAH..", and then I asked her, "what is HATAH then?". She explained with a complicated sentence, which indicated that she knows but not fully understand. It was like three years a go back then when I were in their position. In class I am not the one who actively answered my lecturer's question. I asked when I want to know something, other than that I am not the kind of student who always raising questions in class. Then I started to explained about International Private Law, why is this course important for them as international relation students, what will they expect in the future if they want to deal with foreign transaction.

And the lesson begin..

Four students made the slide presentation, and explained what actually they don't understand. I raised questions, just to make all of their friends understand what actually they said in class. And in the end it became a discussion, about many things, about the nationality of manohara pinot, and how the students claim that she was his ex.., about the flag of the ship, about choice of law, about civil law and common law system, about how this international private law will be important for them in the future.

After 3.5 hours of presentation, quiz, and discussion, They were tired. I know, I were tired too. Chapter 2 and 3 were done. We will have mid semester test next week, but somehow I don't know whether they fully understand international private law, they are in their third semester without having background in law, and I tried to explained this in a simpler way.

And I'm waiting for the next meeting with them. Teaching is fun, but I want to explore the world before going back to this place and teach them, for what I will gain during the years ahead..
Never thought I will be in this position, teaching and giving lecture. I used to underestimate teacher's job, and here I am, all exciting and happy giving lecture and doing this.. life is indeed full of surprises isn't it?

1 comment:

  1. nekk..baru sempet mampir...udah mulai ngajar ya?
    kapan2 gw ngintip donk...hehehe....
    minggu depan gw udah ujian T.T
    sementara gw masih pusing dengan skripsi dan ujian, lw udah ngajar and udah mau pergi aja...hebat nya anda ini...doain gw smoga cepat lulus ya....^^

    ReplyDelete